Tuesday, April 8, 2014

ESO going F2P or shutting off servers

Its a prediction.

And I'd like to say, before anything else, that anybody who purchased Elder Scrolls Online is financing regurgitated garbage that these wannabe developers are throwing out. You should be ashamed! Crap like ESO should be denied support, people who got to make decisions which resulted in failure and waste of resourced should be blacklisted and never be left in charge of anything again. By being complacent you are getting exactly what you deserve: garbage.

Anybody that knows me knows that finances are a non issue for me. I buy several games each month and whether game has cash shop or subscription, or both, if I like it, I'll support it.

But when I play MMO, it is not just about me and my own likes and dislikes. MMO's are also about community and population. You cannot do 60 man raid if there are only 40 people playing on your entire server at any one time.

That is why Warhammer Online failed. I actually got two free copies from two different friends who each preordered extra copy because they wanted me in their guilds. They were on different servers so I joined both as I was touched by the gestures. At first it was ok, but then I got to mid-range levels and most quests seemed to be designed for groups, but there were no groups. I tend not to play during primetime. Solidly populated MMO has people around 24/7, average one just has people during 4-6 busy hours. I guess if I was not there to play with friends I could have switched to different timezone servers, like Oceanic ones, where their primetime would be dead hours when I have free time. When population starts to dwindle, its a ripple effect, it does not get better without outside influence, such as promotion, new xpac, etc. Whoever was making final decisions for WAR was simply incompetent as far as promoting and running a MMO goes. So many people on WoW servers saw WAR as WoW Killer that WAR should have succeeded by default.


I tend to buy MMO only after 3 months or so, it took me a year to begin original Everquest, by time I began they had two expansions out. While all the cool kids were playing EQ I was pioneering internet marketing, domain reselling, and playing first couple multiplayer RPG's on Bulletin Board Systems (you had to dial in to those, its pre-internet thing) called New York 2008 and Legend of the Red Dragon. When I started gaming on internet I did not start with graphic games but text based game called Aardvark, then switched to Aardwolf MUD (that one is still around and admin that owns it goes by name Lasher, really cool guy).

Unlike most people I only spent 3 months playing Everquest. All on Rallos Zek PvP server. Made lots of friends, and then we moved to Mordred server on Dark Age of Camelot. I stayed on DAOC long after all my friends quit, it had that much content and variety and best endgame I ever saw in a MMO.

So when I was discussing ESO on Raptr some people seemed to think that you need to keep banging your head on the wall (trying out a game that its just plainly bad) for MONTHS until you have a right to decide that banging your head on the wall is not fun. If you feel that way, by all means keep on banging, I believe in your freedom to do so.

But if I banged my head on the wall once, I'd instantly not like it, and not want to do it again. My slightly less than 2 hours on ESO, couple weeks prior to its official 'release' were enough for me to decide that it is not fun for me. And that it will probably not be fun to any actual fan of Elder Scrolls who wanted actual Elder Scrolls MMO, nor to any hardcore, non-zerg oriented PvP player.

Thanks to Vedmak.

No comments:

Post a Comment