Monday, April 14, 2014

Westfront PC The Trials of Guilder

While cleaning out some old USB sticks I found one where I backed up all my 3 inch floppies before throwing out the last computer that had drive to run them.






Among tons of things I forgot about, there is a copy of one of the first games I owned, Westfront PC The Trials of Guilder.

To run it on my computer today I have to use DOSBox.

I still remember where I got stuck in it. Yeah, I never beat it. I was supposed to 'appease the wolf'. Nobody on any of BBS's I frequented had a clue what this game was, nor how to appease the wolf, there was no place to look it up, so I set it aside and forgot all about it for all these years.

I Googled the name of the game to find how to appease the wolf, or at least read a summary of what actually happens in the game, and found this page:
http://ifdb.tads.org/viewgame?id=yurg8ah4pdcapc5g

This game is now in public domain (used to be shareware). You can download it at that link for free.

Edit: I just found out that Paul Allen Panks, the creator of Westfront PC The Trials of Guilder died back in 2009, 5 years ago. More specifically I found out about it by reading this:
http://ascii.textfiles.com/archives/2063

I was not aware of anything he said/did other than this one game. And as it seems that there were lot of people who disliked him and as he is not around to defend himself, I feel need to add this here as well. I cannot post on that page as it does not seem to have a comment box any more, but I can clone post that I wholeheartedly agree with that somebody else posted and that reflects how I feel about it today:


Thank you Paul.



Thanks to Vedmak.
 



No comments:

Post a Comment