Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Gnomes

I like reading books. I probably read equivalent of several novels of text each day online, however I still like to read old fashioned paper books once in a while too. Its just not the same as reading e-books and online articles.

One of my favorite books when I was a child was Gnomes , by Wil Huygen, illustrated by Rien Poortvliet. When I moved from Europe to North America there were limits to how much stuff I could take with me, and my original copy of this book simply did not make the cut. At the time I did not realize how rare this book was.

 Gnomes


That is what it looked like. It is a large sized book, shiny and colorful with lots of great illustrations.

Some ten years later, I remembered the book and wanted to acquire it again. However, at this point it was out of print for a while and used copies were selling for more than 500 $. I could not believe it. I am ok financially but I am nowhere near willing to throw away my dollars just like that over bit of nostalgia.

I wrote to original publisher, requesting book be republished, I suggested publishing this book to some contacts I made in North America, but there did not seem to be interest.

Then, one day, I got email from a friend letting me know they republished it, in Gnomes Deluxe Collector's Edition . As far as I know, this is a very limited edition, and might be last time they rerelease this book. It would be hard to imagine kid that would not love this book, and I picked up a brand new copy for myself (ok, so I made my mother buy it, after all it was my parents that decided 25 years ago that I would not be bringing it along). Then I picked up another as gift, and noticed there were just two copies left on Amazon. I felt it would probably be good idea to suggest it before there are no copies left.

Thanks to Vedmak.

No comments:

Post a Comment