Monday, February 17, 2014

How to Completely Backup Blogger Blog and Template

On Wordpress I have automated plugins that do it for me, as all my actual money making blogs are still strictly Wordpress. I've tried several small CMS's and Joomla and Drupal, but Wordpress just suits my usage best.

Since I am currently trying out Blogger for fun, it was inevitable that I'd need to look up into backup/restore option as well. I'll spare you boring details and experiments, here is how to do it properly:

1. For text content. In Blogger go to Settings, Other, Export Blog.
That gives you xml file.

2. For images. They are not actually hosted on Blogger but on Google Images here:
https://plus.google.com/photos/yourphotos
To back them up go to:
https://www.google.com/settings/takeout/custom
You can actually make a backup of your entire Google Plus experience there.

3. For template. Go to 'Template' in menu and simply use Backup/Restore.

You need to do all three steps to really backup your entire blog. Something Google should seriously look into making less time consuming by making it one click operation from Blogger itself.

I could have added screenshots to make this simpler as well, but I feel that if you will be running a blog you should at very least look through options and learn layout of your administrative options for yourself, so, no images for this as failing to succeed in three steps I outlined just means you are too lazy for me to bother helping.

Thanks to Vedmak.

No comments:

Post a Comment